Options:

Carpooling


So ends the first week of carpooling with David. It doesn't seem like much, but it was quite the change of pace after nearly two years of driving solo to work and back--which is at least a 20 minute ride. We also spent time together on my half hour lunch breaks, running the errands that I usually do myself. It was so much fun. It was also neat knowing that he was only 5 minutes away instead of 55 minutes away in North Phila. I guess I'm even writing about this at all because it was strange to have him in "my world" during the day. Usually I see him at home or other places we go together, but never near my work in the middle of the day! At this point, you might be wondering why we are carpooling and where D actually goes while I'm at work. Good questions. D has this USMLE mega-test on June 12th and his continuing on as a third year medical student depends on the success of his performance on this test. Therefore, he got it in his mind, a very bright mind might I add, to study like it was his job--literally. He studies for 8 hours each day, with a half an hour break like me. Why couldn't this be done at home? Two words: highly distractable. Anyway, Widener University is 5 minutes away from my work and I pass it each day on my way (the five-minute drive is illustrated above). So D has been using their library like he is a regular undergraduate attendee of the university. He's quite taken with the facilities, even bringing my laptop and his iPod so he has his own little setup in one of the cubicles. I really think he'll miss it when he won't need to go anymore. This will all have been a good experience for him, considering that we are moving to the area by the end of summer and that he will be working at the hospital right across the way from the college. It's a small world after all, and I like it that way.

4 Comments so far »

  1. by Anonymous , on May 20, 2006 10:28 AM

    Dave's mind IS quite bright, like that of his wife's (she gets that from her father). Which is why they are so highly compatible. The world indeed is a small place but I will be much happier when it is even smaller and Dave and Jess are once again in our own backyard, where they belong!

  2. by Anonymous , on May 20, 2006 10:49 PM

    That must be nice, riding to work together and getting to see each other throughout the day. It really is the little moments that make life so special. :)

    Sara

  3. by Anonymous , on May 20, 2006 10:52 PM

    I don't know if I will miss the 8 hours of studying every day, but I will miss the carpooling and lunchtime meetings. :-D The library is quite a nice place to study this time of year, though. Widener is out on summer break so the library is nice and quiet.

  4. by Anonymous , on May 21, 2006 3:58 PM

    Sounds like a fun week! Enjoy the rest of the time you travel together! Dave is going to RULE on his mega test!
    Love,
    Dad & Mom