Options:

Kindergarten Conversations

I should have been doing this all along. By this I mean writing down in some sort of notebook all the funny/cute/puzzling things my kindergarteners say. And by all along, I mean I should have started the first day I started teaching kindergarten. Oh well. Here are some of the few I remember from the past week or two:

One of my students decided to do some explaining to some parents she saw: "She [meaning me] lost her voice because she was yelling too much yesterday." (Real answer: I'm sick!)

"I know how to spell TV. [Looks up, take a deep breath, looks directly at me...] T........[very drawn out] V." Looks at me proudly. First question that popped into my head: Where did I go wrong??

"Shhhhh guys! Don't say we're having chicken for lunch! The chicks might hear you and be sad and then they won't hatch! You know they're going to get eaten when they're bigger, right?" The quickly-adopted codename for chicken: turkey.

All of the sudden out of nowhere one of my kids shouts, "Ms. Jessica, you look like the REAL Ms. Jessica!!" I must have missed part of that conversation...

Oh, I just remembered one from last year. It was a note I got from a student who hadn't been listening to me and I asked her to write a note as to why this kept on occurring. Well, I got a response:

"Dear Ms. Jessica. Sorry I didn't listen to you. I am going to the ear doctor very soon. I love you." (I edited the spelling for those of you who don't read "kindergarten.") I still have that note.

Hopefully I'll be able to think of more. And if I don't, it's okay because this class, especially, supplies me with lots of material!

4 Comments so far »

  1. by Sara , on April 18, 2007 10:03 PM

    Oh my gosh, those are so cute! You're right--you definitely need to write those down. :)

  2. by Anonymous , on April 19, 2007 12:26 PM

    Too cute, Jess. Why does anyone want to teach any other grade than Kindergarten. You really should write them down, I know you share the kids and their conversations with me often and I love it. Love Mom F PS Stop yelling at those kids...............!

  3. by Anonymous , on April 19, 2007 12:38 PM

    Kids can be so cute! Keep writing those down, and later on you can publish a book! :)

  4. by Anonymous , on April 19, 2007 3:28 PM

    Kids sayings are so adoreable! I'm with Mary...you should write a book!