Options:

Kindergarten Conversations

Overheard conversation between two students:

“When you’re tired, you take a deep breath and you walk.”

“Where?”

“To the bank.”

“Oh, okay.”

***

We were eating lunch when all of the sudden one of the girls makes this really awful face and spits out a cooked carrot cube.

She was looking around to see if she was going to get in trouble when another student commented, “That’s okay, it might be dead.”

I didn’t even know where to go with that one(maybe because it was brown and not orange??), so I left it at that. Actually, the real reason I didn’t ask questions was because everyone else seemed to get it and I didn’t want to give the impression that I was in the dark about what was going on. But I was.

***

One day last week, I noticed there was a lot of leaves on the ground…perfect for leaf piling. So I suggested everyone make a big leaf pile and jump in it. This turned out to be an acceptable idea to the masses and soon they had a pile big enough to jump in. At some point, when interest seemed to be waning, one of the girls suggested, “Let’s make a Christmas one!” With renewed vigor, everyone started making a “Christmas” leaf pile. To me, it looked exactly the same as a “regular” leaf pile…but I’m just an adult, what do I know?

***

And my favorite…

One morning while we were waiting for all of the kindergarteners to arrive, one of the girls decided to play a card game with me. Here’s how it went:

I picked a card from the deck and was sure not to let her see it. She said I could look at it, so I took a peek. Expecting her to try and guess it (after all this is how the game usually goes, right?!), I asked, “Okay, so are you going to guess what card I have?”

“No [insert her baffled expression here] you’re supposed to guess.”

Just when I thought I had it…

“Oh, well, okay. I guess the ace of hearts,” I told her because, in fact, that was the card I was still holding. I showed her, lest she think I was making it up.

“WOW [insert her amazed expression here]! You’re right!”

She called over the students and we repeated this game a few more times.

All stared at me in wonder. What can I say? I’m good at the game…

3 Comments so far »

  1. by Mary , on November 06, 2007 10:38 PM

    Love that card game--I'll have to try it sometime :)

  2. by Anonymous , on November 06, 2007 11:05 PM

    LOL! Your class is so entertaining! Can't wait to hear more!

  3. by Sara , on November 07, 2007 10:40 AM

    Well that first conversation makes sense... when you're tired, walk to the bank and get money. Money makes everything better. ;)

    Not sure what to say about the carrot thing...

    Maybe they thought the new leaf pile resembled a Christmas tree...?

    I love that card game! I bet I wouldn't be any good at it, though...