Yay, David's 12-day work stretch is almost at an end. He's on call tonight, but that means he'll be home early tomorrow...and he'll have ALL of Saturday off :). Sunday is his last day on the ICU and it's also his last call day for the rotation. He had one more call day than everyone else because this rotation was an extra two days and he had the first call day in the beginning. So it goes. He'll appreciate his elective months and vacation weeks (he gets four this year) all the more.
Baby and I have been staying busy...although we didn't go out for a few days because of the heat. It's incredible the amount of heat this baby and the hormones produce. I was never one for AC, I would get too cold and I didn't mind being a little hot if we could save some money. But not at this point in pregnancy. If I get just a little hot, I get lightheaded and usually have to go in the nice, cool basement to get comfortable again. Baby's worth it, though, I already love him so much. He's great entertainment and works well as a party trick already. I'm quite obviously at that point in pregnancy where he's on the big side (not bigger than normal, but just big), so his movements are changing. His newest move feels like he's doing a split across my abdomen and we try to figure out which body parts are doing it, but to no avail. At some points I know his head is down, but then other times he feels like he's sideways, so I'm not exactly sure what he's doing in there except having plenty of fun. And he still finds my hand wherever I put it on my belly, which amazes me. I try to trick him by putting my hand on the opposite side in which I just felt him move, but some body part still meets my hand. And even though D has been gone a lot, Baby still loves his voice!! He'll wake up everytime D says goodbye to him in the morning (though I told D this will have to stop once the baby is on the outside!) and he'll give D lots of kicks/punches whenever he talks and puts his hand on my belly when D gets home from work. For this reason I'm hoping the baby isn't a girl because D will be more wrapped than he already is. Either way, I'm hoping we see this baby in a matter of weeks and not months :).
Yesterday, we (the baby and me) got to spend time with D's mom and brother Pete. It was such a randomly fun afternoon and one that I'm sure will be repeated again and again since we live so close now. Mom called me mid-morning and asked if I had any plans for the day, which I did not. So Mom, Pete, and I went to lunch at the Rainforest Cafe and then went to see a preview of a traveling dinosaur exhibit right in the center of our local mall. All the chairs were taken by the time we got there, so Mom pulled one over from the nearby Starbucks for me. I definitely couldn't stand the entire time, so I was grateful for the chair! After the show, Mom wanted to buy the baby something at...you guessed it...the Disney Store! So I picked out two sleepers that I can't imagine my baby fitting into some day and hope he doesn't fit into the 3-6 month one right away! They have the green color that I love in them. When I showed my family, my dad commented that the baby already has a bigger wardrobe than he does, which is probably true, and this without knowing the sex of the baby. That led into a discussion in which D said that the baby doesn't need so many outfits, only some for the first few months before going into the next size. At this point my dad pointed out that babies go through four, five, six outfits a day, so they need quite a few (as well as a good washing machine). I think D was slightly taken aback by this fact because he promptly started calculating how many outfits the baby would need the first year and came up with something like 240. My mom and I thought it was cute to hear the two of them (guys...) discussing necessities of baby attire. I don't think I'll be hearing many complaints when I bring home baby outfits in the future. Oh, and on the way out of the mall, we stopped at Praline's ice cream and I got a chocolate-vanilla twist cone dipped in chocolate. Baby really enjoyed that and it was enough to satisfy my sweet tooth for the rest of the day! Mom and Pete sure tired me out after that, so I came home and rested. But it was a fun time and I appreciate how they slowed down their pace for me!
And since the baby on my sidebar has looked the same for the past month, I'll show you how Baby should be looking these days (at 33 weeks):
My BLOG has a new home!!
19 years ago
by Moz + Pam , on July 23, 2008 11:30 AM
It was fun yesterday, wasn't it? I like doing spontaneous things like that! We'll definitely have to make a habit of it, huh? That must have been so cute to listen to Dave & your Dad discussing baby clothes & all! LOL! Won't be long @ all now until we meet your little one...can't wait!
by Sara , on July 23, 2008 6:16 PM
Yup, at this point in the pregnancy, it's all about staying comfortable. Good for you for pampering yourself a little. :)
Glad you had a fun day at the mall with Mom and Pete. Tony and I were just saying we need to take Ari to the Rainforest Cafe sometime soon. We've taken her there before, but it's been a while. I'm sure she'd love it now, esp since she can recognize lots of the animals.
LOL at Dave not realizing that infants go through several outfits a day. ;) I used bibs on Ari all the time (sometimes even planning her outfits to match her bibs) b/it was simpler/easier to change a bib than a whole outfit. I love those Disney Store sleepers, though--I had a few for Ari, and they were great. They tend to run small, too, so Baby K may fit in them sooner than you think. ;)
by Mary , on July 24, 2008 1:35 PM
Sara took my comments from me! Babies will go thru lots of clothes at first, and it's silly to wash a couple things and not have a full load. Matthew's poo would come through his clothes, and some mornings we'd find that he soaked through everything, even the blanket we had him swaddled in! But that dies down, don't worry. Now I can get Matthew to wear an article of clothing twice before I wash it... sometimes ;)
Yes, I had three Disney sleepers, and they do run small. I guess the idea is that they are supposed to be a snug fit for safety reasons. Don't want too much material that Baby can suffocate on. Just keep them in a nearby drawer and periodically hold it against baby to make sure he/she doesn't get too long for it. I had a 3-6 month one that he wore at 1-2 months old :)
I'm glad you're keeping cool in this warm weather. I'm glad I wasn't pregnant in the heat. Don't think I'd want to deal with that. Any swelling from the heat? It will all be over soon, and then your new adventure will begin. I love hearing you talk about Baby. I can tell you love him/her so much already :0