We awoke to Micah's chatter-babbling on Monday morning. After waking up twice we just let him sleep in our bed, which allowed us to get a nice stretch of sleep from 5:30-8:30am. We were all rested and since Micah didn't need to eat right away, we quickly got ready for our free continental breakfast (which was located in the Ground Round restaurant attached to the hotel). They had a very yummy spread and we kept Micah entertained in his stroller with a spoon, a paper cup, and his mesh teether while we feasted.
We checked out and since it was about time for Micah's nap, and he's great about falling asleep in the car (just not out in public where there's too much to see, too many people to flirt with), D had the brilliant idea of driving by some of the casinos in the area. We've heard a lot about them, but since we don't waste our money by gambling, we've never been to them. They were pretty impressive structures, but I couldn't help but feel bad for the people who frequent them. The country out there in rural CT is breath-taking. Farms, forests, big, old, beautiful colonial houses. I could spend hours looking at all the old homes.
Anyway, when we got back into Mystic, we went back to the aquarium because of the three-consecutive-days-for-the-price-of-one deal and finished looking at the inside exhibits and the gift shop. We are too cheap (smart?) to buy any of the way-over-priced items, but we did manage this picture:
Yes, that's me holding a "Mystic Aquarium" shirt up to Micah while D takes the picture. It was $15 and he'd outgrow it next week, so what was the point of buying it? I could buy an outfit for me and for him with that money.
Instead of purchasing anything in the gift shop, we did one of those souvenir pennies. You know, the kind you insert two quarters and a penny into a machine and the penny comes out all flattened with an imprint on it. We also flattened a penny at the next place we went to: Mystic Pizza. The name ring any bells? It's a movie with Julie Roberts. We ate lunch there and the pizza was absolutely delicious. D and I split a large pizza and ate it all! And Micah? He was flirting with the waitress who must have said, "Oh my, he's so handsome!" at least fifteen times. Maybe that's why he was so well behaved?? Of course when we got home, D and I watched Mystic Pizza together and enjoyed pointing out the different spots we had been to not a few days before.
To mark the occasion, this our first family vacation, I bought a dark blue Betta fish on Tuesday. It's deep blue, just like our little man's eyes. His name (and he is a he, which are a dollar more than shes...surprised that's not illegal or something) is Mr. Betta Fish. Creative, I know. He's our decoration on the window ledge between our kitchen and dining room and he has quite the personality. When you wiggle your finger in front of him he'll wave his tail from side to side and then skitter around in a circle. I don't know how I manage to pick these animals with personality, first Dougie and now Mr. Betta Fish! Anyway, I'm also going to print out some pictures of our trip and laminate them in a book for Micah to look at since he's sitting through books quite nicely now.
by Mary , on April 08, 2009 2:50 PM
Oh, Micah's eyes are a dark blue--they are beautiful! And so is the fish :)
I'm aware of Mystic Pizza the movie, but I've never seen it. And I didn't know it was an actual place too. I love love love pizza! I could eat it every day :)
by Moz + Pam , on April 08, 2009 2:53 PM
Very blue eyes on Micah & very blue fish, too! Cute how you got it to match Micah's eyes! I've never seen the movie Mystic Pizza but I know it's a real place! I enjoyed hearing about part 2 of your very first family vacation!